The American Heritage Committee is calling for entries to the 2015-2016 American Heritage Contest. This year’s theme is: Celebrating the Arts from the Time of Our Founding Daughters to the Present.
The Historic Costume theme is Clothing Fashions of the Four Founding Daughters. Additionally there is a new catagory for group entries.
Fiber Arts: December 1, 2015 – January 11, 2016 – entries to California State Chair
Art & Sculpture, Crafts, Literature & Drama and Music: January 2 to February 15, 2016 – entries to appropriate National Vice Chair. Please do not mail prior to January 2, 2016.
***Note February 15, 2016 is President’s Day (Monday) so make sure the entries are postmarked by February 13th (Saturday). Entries postmarked February 16, 2016 will not be accepted.
New Group Contest Information:
Group entries must be the original work created by the family, chapter or state group members. Groups consist of 2 or more individuals who were all members of DAR at the time the work was created. All members should be involved in both the planning and creation of the entry. On a separate sheet of paper list each member of the DAR group and how she contributed to the entry.
Please read all instructions thoroughly.
- All contest entries must be the sole original work of the member. You may not enter another person’s work.
- ALL entries must be accompanied by the American Heritage Contest Entry Form.
- For art & sculpture, crafts, literature and drama and music, submit entries directly to the appropriate National Vice Chair. Make sure that it is postmarked by the contest deadline.
- Fiber Arts entries need to be sent to the California State Chair between December 1, 2015 and January 11, 2016.
- Send a duplicate entry form to the California State Chair if you are entering any of the contests other than Fiber Arts.
- Include a written descriptive paragraph or more explaining your work. Often this will help the judges to: determine the materials used; learn about a special technique that was used to create the artwork; understand the inspiration behind the artwork and break any ties.
- All contest entries need to be sent by mail (USPS, UPS and FedEx). Electronic entries will not be accepted. Make sure that it is postmarked by the individual contest deadline. DO NOT send your entry by “signature required”. You may include a self-addressed stamped postcard if you would like to be notified that your entry has been received.
- “4 X 6” photographs, unframed and without any fancy borders. Include as many photos as necessary to properly show the entry. For example, a close up, the back or side of the entry, etc. All photographs should be clear and focused to help the judges see the entry. Blurry photos are not helpful.
- CD with digital images, JPG format preferred.
- IMPORTANT! Do not send the item – only the photographs and CD
Women in the Arts Recognition Award
Detailed information may be obtained from the National website>>
American Heritage, National Committee
California State Chair: Jill Ellsworth Scott
1465 Mercado Glen, Escondido, CA 92026